12-months scholarship in visual arts-based research for Master or postgraduate students at NOVA FCSH (Lisbon, Portugal)
Attribution of one scholarship under the research project YouSound – Music Education as an Inclusion Tool for Underage Refugees in Europe, headquartered at the Etnomusicologia – Centro de Estudos em Música e Dança (INET-md) of the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences of Universidade Nova de Lisboa, financed by national funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (EXPL/SOC-SOC/0504/2021).
This is a 12-months scholarship in which its holder will work with the other members of the YouSound Research Project at Colégio Almada Negreiros in Campolide (Universidade Nova de Lisboa), under the direction of the Principal Investigator. Of those 12 months, 3 involve fieldwork trips during the second semester of 2022: 1 month in Gothenburg, Sweden; 2 months in Athens, Greece. The fieldwork will be intense, applying art-based research methods and developing responsible collaboration with each of the selected music education organizations.
As much as a person with technical abilities, we are looking for a creative, original, and rigorous profile, with a refined aesthetic sense as the project seeks to deepen and develop methodologies in the social sciences based on artistic practice and reflection. The artistic work and the applied techniques, to be defined in partnership with the grantee, must allow the achievement of graphic objectives, such as: ethnographic drawings, illustrations, graphic novels (comics), graphic diaries, illustrated reports, collages.
As the YouSound project aims to apply art-based research methods (Leavy, 2015, 2019), the ability and experience of knowledge-sharing is valued, particularly with young migrants/refugees (Lenette, 2019). In this way, graphic works may be co-created with members of each sociocultural project. The aim is to promote and include “other ways of illustrating”. Such experiences will be fundamental to collect and co-develop relevant information for artistic-scientific outputs.
DURATION OF THE FELLOWSHIP
The fellowship will have a duration of 12 months, starting on the 1st of June 2022.
Master’s or postgraduate student during the academic year 2021-2022 in Portugal. In the case of a master’s students, they may be enrolled in the 1st or 2nd year. As for the degree (licenciatura), it must have been completed in the areas of visual arts and/or social sciences, being familiar with the field of visual socio-anthropology.
Availability to fulfil the work plan: the scholarship holder will be part of the YouSound project team, being co-responsible for the realization of visual arts-based contents (i.e., ethnographic drawings, illustrations, graphic novels, graphic diaries, illustrated reports, collages) during fieldwork in Sweden and Greece in 2022’s second semester. In both countries, the focus is on the study of a musical project that works with underage migrants and refugees, using the arts as instruments of education, inclusion, and emancipation.
Availability to be present in the workplace daily. The main job will be with the project team at the Instituto de Etnomusicologia – Centro de Estudos em Música e Dança (INET-md), Faculty of Social and Human Sciences, Universidade Nova de Lisboa. The ethical principles formulated by the project team and validated by the FCSH Ethics Committee must be accepted and applied by all members of the YouSound project, including the scholarship holder.
Artistic and research fields: Sociology and visual anthropology. Ethnographic drawing, illustration, graphic novel (comics), graphic diaries, illustrated field-notes and reports, collage.
Applications must be sent until April 8th by email to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Principal Investigator of the project, with Cc. to email@example.com, having the following title: “YouSound scholarship application – name of the candidate”.
Applications will be formalized, obligatorily, and under penalty of exclusion, by email, accompanied by the following documents in PDF format:
- Motivation letter (maximum 500 words), indicating to what extent the candidate’s profile can bring additional contributions to the project.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae.
- Portfolio (with links giving access to the candidate’s graphic creations).
- Certificate(s) of qualifications.
- Documents proving the ownership of the academic degree and diploma. In the case of academic degrees obtained in foreign higher education institutions, it is necessary to present the recognition of the degrees obtained, in accordance with DL No. 66/2018, of August 16; or, in the absence of recognition at the time of application, declaration under commitment of honour that he/she will make this recognition before contracting the Scholarship in case he/she is the selected candidate. However, it is mandatory to present the acknowledgement until the moment of contracting the scholarship.
- Certificate of valid enrolment in a master’s or postgraduate course in the scientific areas presented above in the admission conditions.
- For candidates of Portuguese nationality, a copy of the civil, fiscal and social security identification document(s).
- For applicants of foreign nationality, a document that proves the country of residence, a residence permit or another legally equivalent document, valid on the expected starting date of the scholarship.
- Other documents that are considered relevant to the application.
The scholarship amount corresponds to €875.98, according to the table of values of the scholarships awarded directly by the FCT, I.P. in the country (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Added to this amount is the voluntary social insurance corresponding to the first step if the candidate chooses to be awarded it, as well as personal accident insurance.
Master or postgraduate student in Portugal
Concerning the curriculum evaluation (20 points) we will consider:
- Academic training and artistic portfolio (10 points).
- Experience participating in artistic projects, research activities and scientific production (6 points).
- Motivation letter (4 points).
In the interview, the following will be considered:
- The candidate’s profile.
- Knowledge relating to the scope of study of the project.
- The ability to work in a team.
- Autonomy and creativity.